Re: KDE Support in Debian

Ana Guerrero wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 01:09:07AM +0800, Sharuzzaman Ahmat Raslan wrote:
>> My installation step is like this:
>>
>> 1. Download stable netinstall CD
>> 2. Install stable using netinstall as minimal possible
>> 3. Change /etc/apt/sources.list to point to testing
>> 4. Aptitude update
>> 5. Aptitude full-upgrade
>> 6. Aptitude install kde-minimal
>>

> I also would recommend this way to a new user, just one small comment:
> instead of kde-minimal, you can install kde-standard, that is kde-minimal plus some
> of the most common apps used. It is half-way between kde-minimal and kde-full.
>
> Ana

Just a bit of warning here, the migration "stable > testing" can be
tricky right now, with grub > grub2 (available for stable, but not the
default), boot sequence change (insserv), impossibility to format as
ext4 from Lenny installer, very likely devices names change with the
jump in kernel version...
Unfortunately while there is an option to install kde as the default
desktop in Squeeze netinstall cd, those testing d-i images are somewhat
buggy right now, the graphical install didn't even come up during my
latest install which was today, with a 8th of November netinstall amd64
image ... It did work in "expert" text mode though, but only wired
because it failed to configure my wireless card (which is a basic ath5k
compatible card).

Right now it's not so easy to install Debian Squeeze.