Re: Is KDE sound daemon causing audio problems?

* Xavier Vello <xavier.vello@gmail.com> [2009 Nov 05 04:36 -0600]:
> Le jeudi 5 novembre 2009 03:19:38, Nate Bargmann a écrit :
> > I guess the first question is whether KDE4 uses a sound daemon as in
> > the old days?  In general sound is great, no issues, until I decide to
> > use a program with Wine that generates sound and then it has a lot of
> > pops and skips.  In Virtualbox the sound is just scratchy alomst like
> > the old old days with a DMA conflict with DOS and Win 3.1 (I'm dating
> > myself).
> >
> > Is there some method of forcing better sharing of the sound device?
> > I'll admit to not being very knowledgable making sound from non native
> > Linux apps work, but I seem to recall no issues before KDE4.
>
> Hello
>
> Contrary to KDE3 (which uses arts), KDE4 doesn't use a sound daemon and uses
> whichever sound system (alsa, pulseaudio, oss, directx, quicktime) is default
> on the system. This is not a KDE-specific issue then.
>
> Try making sure wine uses alsa output (with the "winecfg" app) and KDE too
> (in systemsettings > multimedia).

I see no specific mention of ALSA in the system settings menu.  I
noticed that my prefered sound card wasn't at the top of the output and
input lists so I changed that.  In the Backend tab I only have Xine and
Aptitude shows only gstreamer as an option.  Where else might I be able
to ensure ALSA and not OSS is the prefered audio device?

- Nate >>