Is KDE sound daemon causing audio problems?

I guess the first question is whether KDE4 uses a sound daemon as in
the old days?  In general sound is great, no issues, until I decide to
use a program with Wine that generates sound and then it has a lot of
pops and skips.  In Virtualbox the sound is just scratchy alomst like
the old old days with a DMA conflict with DOS and Win 3.1 (I'm dating
myself).

Is there some method of forcing better sharing of the sound device?
I'll admit to not being very knowledgable making sound from non native
Linux apps work, but I seem to recall no issues before KDE4.

- Nate >>