Re: Debian 5 with kde 3.5 (basic install)

ddkconsultancy worte:
>Sorry but I am just a newbie, so forgive me in advance :-)

>I just want to get my great Debian 5 with KDE start ups with numlock
>on and the numlock led on.

>I googled a lot but nu solution found.

>KDE numlock on setting puts it on but not the led!

>Leds=+num is being switch off when KDE starts up

my advice:
I had the same problem times ago, filled out a kde-bug report against kdm;
BUT found out the following workaround (answers to the bug-report mentioned
only a bug within the xorg-package which caused problems with num-lock -> but
obviously only whitin KDM)

So please check the following:
1. /etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc
In the section  [X-*-Greeter] there must exist the following entry:
NumLock=On

On my Debian 4.0 (Etch) this DID not work (although Debian 3.0
Codename "Sarge") worked very well

So the 2nd Check:
In KDE-ControlCenter / Devices / Keyboard:
I left the settings : NUMLOCK not to be changed at KDE-Start

If this is also not working you can try additionally the following steps:
a) /etc/console-tools/config
#Turn on numlock by default
==> uncomment this line (delete the trailing '#' sign)
b) at least you can do:
apt-get update numlocks
echo numlocks on >> /etc/kde3/kdm/Xsetup

HOPE that HELPS

Herbert