Re: PolicyKit Authorization (System Settings) crashes every time

On Fri, Dec 25, 2009 at 2:03 AM, Diederik de Haas <didi.debian@cknow.org> wrote:
> On 2009-12-25 George Kiagiadakis wrote:
>> policykit and policykit-1 are incompatible with each other.
> That's not the impression I got from the changelog (0.94-1):
> Rename package to policykit-1. Upstream (at least temporarily) forked
>     the project to make it installable in parallel with policykit 0.9, until
>     all programs are ported to the new API.

Yes, they are co-installable, but I mean that the API is incompatible,
so you can't take a policykit-based application and compile it with
policykit-1. Much like Qt3 and Qt4 are incompatible with each other.

>> policykit is becoming deprecated and most stuff in debian has switched to
>> using policykit-1, including hal. Unfortunately the system settings module
>> is still using policykit and it is expected to be fully ported to
>> policykit-1 in kde 4.5.
> Does that mean that the PolicyKit Authorization module will not work properly until 4.5 is released?
> That will also mean that Squeeze won't have a working PolicyKit module.

Probably yes. And I guess it won't be compiled at all in the 4.4
series, since debian squeeze will only ship policykit-1 afaik.

> Or is my system messed up and it does work properly for others (except Goran Dobosevic)?

Mounting drives works fine for me, if that's what you are asking.
Afaik, the default policy is to allow mounting external drives if the
user trying to do that is the active user on the system. As for the
systemsettings module, it doesn't crash for me, but it doesn't have
anything to configure either :)