Re: Upgrading KDE 3.5.10 (lenny) -> KDE 4.3.1 (squeeze)

2009/9/20 Rainer Dorsch <rdorsch@web.de>:
> Hello,
>
> I assume that many Debian users will upgrade from KDE 3.5.10 to KDE 4.x with
> the release of squeeze. I want to go through this process in a few days.
>
> Are there already instrucitons how to do that?

First you should upgrade your system. I recommend "aptitude
full-upgrade". "apt-get dist-upgrade" may also work. After that, I
recommend installing the "kde-standard" (or the "kde-minimal")
metapackage, to ensure that you have a basic kde4 environment. This is
required because many components of kde have changed name, so an
upgrade may not install all the components of kde4 (for example, I did
this upgrade 3-4 days ago in a system and after the upgrade I
discovered the "systemsettings" tool, which is the replacement of
kcontrol, was not installed).

In addition, it is possible that some components of kde3 are not
removed, because they do not conflict with anything from kde4. If you
wish to remove some or all of them, you can get a list of them with
"dpkg -l | grep 4:3.5". It should be safe to remove all of them,
except the kdelibs* packages, which are still required for some kde3
applications that do not have a kde4 alternative, like k3b.

> Is there already a list of apps which do not upgrade smoothly/automatically?

Apart from what I said above, there is no other known issue for kde.
If you are upgrading the whole system, I know there is an issue with
aptitude and the xorg driver packages (bug 502285), in which case you
should keep answer "no" to aptitude when it asks you to accept the
solution, until you get it to upgrade the xorg driver packages. For a
strange reason, apt-get does not suffer from this problem.

> Is there something I should take special care of and report it to improve the
> upgrade process for other users?

Probably the only thing that you should take care about is our kde
settings migration wizard (known as "kaboom"). This is a wizard that
will run the first time that you login to kde4 and will help you
backup your kde3 settings. If you find any issues there, please
report. Currently there are some known bugs in there that have been
fixed in version 1.1.2, which will hopefully be in testing in 2 days
from today. If you wait at least 2 days more, you will probably get
that version.

Regards,
George