Re: Upgrading KDE 3.5.10 (lenny) -> KDE 4.3.1 (squeeze)

On Sat 2009-09-19, Rainer Dorsch wrote:
> Are there already instrucitons how to do that?

 Strap yourself in, type  ...

 #  apt-get dist-upgrade -u

 .. and feel the power.

> Is there already a list of apps which do not upgrade
>  smoothly/automatically?

 There's a few things - the implied xorg upgrade will break
 your mouse & keyboard (perhaps), you want the gstreamer
 audio backend rather than the phonon one (for amarok, at
 the least), and certain applications you perhaps used to use
 and love are gone (quanta & kdict are my two most missed
 examples).  There's a few packages that need to be installed,
 but which might fall through the dependency cracks.  Just
 read all your error logs and messages (as best you can) as they
 scroll past.  (And remember - /etc/init.d/kdm stop - before you
 start.)

 I've written a list of my gripes and maintained it (mostly) over at:
 http://dgwiki.dingogully.com.au/Jedd/Excogitations/IT/KDE_4

 I updated it a few weeks ago, but need to re-visit it, I'm sure.

 There's a stack of those kind of web sites and postings
 around the Net, though, so you'll doubtless be able to find
 quick solutions (or at least explanations as to why this is now
 a feature, not a bug) to whatever problems you stumble upon.

 You can also peruse bugs.kde.org, of course, for the definitive
 word (and occasionally some very handy workarounds - though
 bugs.debian.org often has more useful workaround information
 I've found).

 Jedd.