Re: Weird behaviour - resize of konsoles has 2s delay

Alle lunedì 24 agosto 2009, jedd ha scritto:
> On Sun 2009-08-23, George Kiagiadakis wrote:
> > 2009/8/23 jedd <jedd@progsoc.org>:
> > >  With konsoles, typically full-screen, or at least full-vertical
> > > size, click-and-hold the top or side edge and start to re-size.
> > >  For me I'm getting a 2s delay - during which X basically freezes.

> > You are probably using quite old nvidia drivers. This is a known
> > nvidia bug, but it is supposed to be fixed in recent versions of the
> > driver. Try upgrading it.
>
>  George - thanks for your suggestion.
>
>  Since April (4.2.2 into unstable) I've been tracking the nVidia
>  drivers fairly regularly, updating within a week of new ones
>  being released.  I see that .31 was replaced by .36 a couple
>  of days ago, so I've grabbed and installed that version.
>
>  Surprisingly, there's nothing in their changelog that looks
>  related.
>
>  After using this new driver for a few hours, I feel that it
>  might have helped (it's a tricky call) but it certainly hasn't
>  solved the problem unfortunately.
>
>  Jedd.
Hi Jedd,

There are options in the nvidia driver that must be enabled/disabled to solve
this problem. First you should check if you have a config that is conflicting
with the default nvidia setup. The latest releases of the driver are configured
to have the best performances by default with KDE4. Give a look to xorg.conf
xinitrc in /etc and your home folder. Try to use nvidia-settings after as
suggested here:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=118110 .
Anyhow, this is not a KDE4 bug.

Device section in my xorg.conf:
Section "Device"
        Identifier      "nVidia Corporation GeForce 8600M GS"
        Driver          "nvidia"
        Option          "DynamicTwinView"               "0"
        Option          "AddARGBVisuals"                "True"
        Option          "AddARGBGLXVisuals"             "True"
        Option          "Coolbits"                      "False"
        Option          "BackingStore"                  "True"
        Option          "OnDemandVBlankInterrupts"      "True"
EndSection

Read what every option does to your X.