Re: KDE 4 Issues with Nvidia Card

Edson Marquezani Filho wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 20, 2009 at 19:05, Federico Brega<charon.66@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I've got this issue too. I'd like to compile nvidia module following
>> the Debian way, so I use module-assistant to not install the nvidia
>> driver every time a switch to another kernel version.
>> Is there a way to do something like that on a newer driver?
>> Thanks
>> Federico
>>

> As far as I know, there's no way to avoid recompiling third-part
> modules every time you change your kernel. Even using module-assistant
> you have to do this, don't you? (Actualy, It makes no sense not have
> to, just because a binary module is directly associated to an
> individual kernel).
>
> All the times I have switched to another kernel, I had to recompile
> modules that don't come with it by default.

The dkms framework has entered Testing and Sid, right now it's not
working with nvidia kernel module (for me at least) but it is with Sun
Virtualbox. One of the purpose of dkms is to avoid recompiling the
external modules manually every time the kernel gets upgraded. I don't
know what it would take to have it work with the nvidia module, but this
is the direction to look at to avoid recompiling manually.

Tom