Re: Coexistence betwend kde3 and kde4

On Thursday 16 April 2009 19:07:16 Leopold Palomo-Avellaneda wrote:
> A Dijous 16 Abril 2009, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. va escriure:
> > In <[🔎] 200904161610.57353.leo@alaxarxa.net>, Leopold Palomo-Avellaneda wrote:
> > >I don't want to install kde3 and kde4 in the same box.
> > >
> > >However, I administrate several boxes and I would like to have some box
> > > with unstable (kde 4.2.2) and stable (kde 3.5.9) using the same /home
> > > for the users (ergo .kde)
> > >
> > >So, is this possible?
>
> [...]
>
> > I suggest that you set KDE_HOME in your global environment on the
> > different systems.  Using "~/.kde<major>.<minor>", for example .kde3.5
> > and .kde4.2, should be sufficient.  I think KDE_HOME is the only thing
> > that needs to be set, but you might want to double-check me.
>
> where do you set up this?
>
> I have done a :
> grep -R KDE_HOME /etc/*
>
> with no results.

I have a locally compiled kde3 on /opt/kde3.5 and 4.2.2 on /usr installed from
Sid.
I changed the startkde script in /opt/kde/lde3.5/bin to reference $KDE_HOME as
.~/.kde3, have /opt/kde3.5/bin ahead of /usr/bin and to set a global
environment variable.

in /etc/profiles, I test this variable. If it is set, I do the same thing
there. Otherwize, $KDE_HOME is ~/.kde and /opt/kde3.5/bin in AFTER /usr/bin on
the PATH. Similarly, I set LD_LIBRARY_PATH and some others as well in the 3.5
startkde and /etc/profile.

With appropriate $KDE_HOME and PATHs, I have been running this way without a
hitch for a while now. In your case, your kde3.5 stuff will be on another box
but the idea is the same.