RE: Newbie but nevertheless sincere- replacing Xandros GUI on Asus 900a with KDE

Ana-

Thank you for getting back to me.  I have an Asus eee 900a which is a really really nice little machine.  It was $200 at Best Buy (USA) with a variant of Xandros, and $240 with Windows XP.

The GUI off-the-shelf, however, is made for five-year-olds and/or third world countries.  The manufacturer has disabled the option to use the "advanced desktop", and what I've read is that an accessible advanced desktop can be created with KDE Kicker and ksmserver.   That's what I'm trying to do.

I did write "newbie" in the subject line- I just began studying command paths from Konsole yesterday evening.  So I've been trying to create a command path that points to the tars that I've downloaded.

I basically just want to be able to get into the repositories that contain KDE (panel) kicker and ksmserver.  I think I've tried the one you suggest, lenny, but I'm baffled by the i386 question and why that's happening.  I know that i386 is an older architecture, and there are things in there that I probably need- but when I create the links to those repositories I get that error message.

I will work on learning command-line better (so far I've not been able to do much from command-line) and I guess I'll try the stable lenny repository.

Thanks. (Danke schoen?)

> Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2009 01:29:07 +0100
> From: ana@debian.org
> To: cautiouscowboy@msn.com
> CC: debian-qt-kde@lists.debian.org
> Subject: Re: Newbie but nevertheless sincere- replacing Xandros GUI on Asus 900a with KDE
>

> Hi Bill,
>
> On Tue, Feb 03, 2009 at 04:38:49PM -0700, Bill Maher wrote:
> >
> > Hello-
> >
> > I've been attempting to do the above, but I get error messages regarding libraries and 1386's.
> >
> > file:///export/repository/gnusolaris1/ kdelibs trunk gives me:
> >
> > file:///export/repository/gnusolaris1/dists/kdelibs/trunk/binary-i386/Packages.gz: File not found
> >
> > I also get:
> >
> > W: Couldn't stat source package list file: kdelibs/trunk Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/_export_repository_gnusolaris1_dists_kdelibs_trunk_binary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
> >
> > I guess I'm looking for the repository that these i386 packages are in.
> >
> > None of the "how to" articles regarding changing the "easy" desktop GUI work for me. Those are all written for the eee 701, and I have a 900a. The answer to this is not on the net.
> >
> > So if you could point me to these repositories, and any other repositories that are stable and might have neat things in them, I'd appreciate it.
> >

> First, KDE users mailint list is:
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-kde/
>
> Second, what does contain yout /etc/apt/sources.list and what kde (and debian
> suite: stable, testing, unstable) do you want to install?
>
> Debian repositories are something like:
> deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ lenny main
>
> Please, continue in the user's mailing list.
>
> Ana

Windows Live™: Keep your life in sync. See how it works.