Re: can't play any video in dragon player

Am Mittwoch, 4. Februar 2009 schrieb Flavio:
> Hi all,
> since i upgraded to kde4.2 (from experimental) i cannot play any video with
> dragon player.
>
> I think i installed all the required plugins (my phonon backend is
> gstreamer):
>
> $ aptitude search ~igstreamer
> i A gstreamer0.10-alsa - GStreamer plugin for ALSA
> i A gstreamer0.10-plugins-base - GStreamer plugins from the "base"
> set i gstreamer0.10-plugins-good - GStreamer plugins from the
> "good" set iB gstreamer0.10-plugins-really-bad - GStreamer plugins from
> the "bad" set i gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly - GStreamer plugins from
> the "ugly" set i A gstreamer0.10-x - GStreamer plugins for
> X11 and Pango i A libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-0 - GStreamer libraries
> from the "base" set i A libgstreamer0.10-0 - Core GStreamer
> libraries and elements i A phonon-backend-gstreamer - Phonon
> GStreamer 0.10.x backend $
>
> before upgrade i was using xine backend.

The backend are not intended do be completly feature compatible with regards to formats understood as I understand it. I have music here that works with xine but not with gstreamer.

> Am i missing something? Should i return to xine backend?

I switched back to xine and I guess that one just has to check what fits best to one's personal needs.

> Using mplayer everything works.

mplayer supports different formats, comparing does not help. You might want to check [1]. Does anybody know about release plans of the mplayer or vlc phonon plugins?

Christoph

[1] http://code.google.com/p/phonon-vlc-mplayer/