Re: Idea for smooth migration to KDE 4

On Monday 17 November 2008 20:26:47 Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer wrote:
> On Monday 17 November 2008 16:16:09 Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > Today I had an idea for smoothly migrating to KDE 4:
> >
> > I backup my ~/.kde and just use my KDE 4 Debian Sid/Experimental
> > virtualbox and mount my home directory via vboxfs. KDE 4 should use .kde4
> > in my home directory and then I could migrate the configuration of KDE
> > applications one by one, still having KDE 3 stuff in my physical
> > environment. Once I am satisfied I update the physical box with
> > lenny/sid/experimental to KDE 4.
> >
> > Should work out, shouldn't it?
> >
> > Ciao,
>
> Well, that's smooth... perhaps too much. I just backed up .kde (just in
> case something goes wrong), and installed kde4. Copied the important stuff
> of .kde in .kde4. Done.
>
> I'm not comming back :-)

Way too smooth. I did that the first time. KDE4 (OK, a very early version)
crashed every single time. I had no clue. Until my daughter started it up
clean by accident and lo and behold, it worked just fine.

So either start fresh and copy .kde/share/config stuff piecemeal as needed or
use a script posted on kde-apps.org which copies stuff automatically.

One other thing to watch out for:KDE4 no longer has dcop but uses dbus
instead. KDE3 apps will work and will start dcopserver for their use. If one
of your regular applets changes ownership of .ICEauthority (KDE loves to
change permissions and ownerships of files it touches!), Other KDE3 applets
and the next KDE4 session might not start up. My /usr/bin/startkde has entries
to fix this but these will only work for non-password sudoers.