Re: Idea for smooth migration to KDE 4

Den Monday 17 November 2008 19.26.47 skrev Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez
Meyer:
> On Monday 17 November 2008 16:16:09 Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > Today I had an idea for smoothly migrating to KDE 4:
> >
> > I backup my ~/.kde and just use my KDE 4 Debian Sid/Experimental
> > virtualbox and mount my home directory via vboxfs. KDE 4 should use .kde4
> > in my home directory and then I could migrate the configuration of KDE
> > applications one by one, still having KDE 3 stuff in my physical
> > environment. Once I am satisfied I update the physical box with
> > lenny/sid/experimental to KDE 4.
> >
> > Should work out, shouldn't it?
> >
> > Ciao,
>
> Well, that's smooth... perhaps too much. I just backed up .kde (just in
> case something goes wrong), and installed kde4. Copied the important stuff
> of .kde in .kde4. Done.
>
> I'm not comming back :-)

I jumped on the KDE4 train a week ago and I must say that KDE4 is ready for
daily use. I used KDE a quite long time some years ago but leave it for XFCE4
because KDE3.x was slow. But KDE4 respond faster than XFCE4 and I like it that
much that I installed a new Debian Sid system with only KDE4 (plus Gimp and
its dependencies). Konqueror is a little buggy which make it quite useless on
some sites, therefor I had Iceweasel installed to.

KDE4 work great for me and the only serious drawback can be if you need some
of the applications that is not KDE4 ready yet. But I can live without them...
I found a few more applications in the Kubuntu repository and some plasmoids
at kde-looks.

KDE4 is definite a milestone in the Linux-world! It's great!

Magnus Berg