RE: KPackage in KDE4

> Hi,
>
>     I installed yesterday KDE4 in my Debian Testing.
>
>     After fixed some problems, I got to install it. I like very much the new
> aparence but when I try to manage my package using a GUI application I have
> the following issue.
>
>       1st- I try to use KPackage form KDE4, I needed to install the smartpm
> form unsatable branch and KPackages is hold when try to show the
> information.
>
>       2nd- Adept is death in testing and Adept 3 is very unstable.
>
>       3rd- In KPackage and in Dolphi I show that some Icons are with "?", I
> soppouse that I need to install some package but I don't know.
> I installed  KDE4 using;
>
>               apptitude install kde4
>
>      So I think it might to install ALL KDE4, didn't it?
> **
> Thanks,
>
> GUAN

You may open a terminal and use the Aptitude ncurses interface from
within
a desktop GUI like KDE4.  This will probably suit you better at first
than
trying to use the command line.  The program has a "solver" than
resolves
dependencies and conflicts for you, but the first solution may not be
the
best one.  You need to examine all or many of them, if there is more
than
one.

  apt-get install kde4    or    aptitude install kde4    ?????

will only bring in the dependencies that are needed to run the KDE4
desktop
and it's components.  Some of them may be newer/younger than the
versions
in Lenny.  You will have to put Sid in your /etc/apt/sources.list
temporarily,
if you want to use KDE4 packages.

Since KDE4 is so new, you can't run it without some new packages from
Sid
or Experimental.  This will be rectified in time, but KDE4 won't be in
Lenny at all, if I understand correctly.  It will be in the successor to

Lenny.

Don't try Adept right now.  Use Aptitude in a terminal window.  Do
not use the command-line interface, use the ncurses interface (type
"aptitude" [no quotes] by itself on the command line.  To make it
do work, you will have to be root, or let it become root.  (Just open
a root terminal when you open a terminal.)

If you have all of GTK, etc. installed, you can try Synaptic.  It will
run under KDE4, as long as your glib, and gtk/gnome libraries are in
good shape.

If a few icons are missing, you may need to install an icon theme
package.  Since KDE4 is still farm fresh, there may be a few items
like that that aren't all there.

Mark Allums