KPowersave and KNetworkManager

Hello,

Let me begin by thanking Ana Guerrero and the rest of Debian's KDE team for their prompt response to the problems caused when a very stubborn Debian kernel maintainer disabled support for /proc/acpi.[1]

Thank you for taking the time to provide people like me with a great desktop!

When I recently upgraded my Lenny system and brought in KPowersave, I had no trouble suspending or resuming. However, KNetworkManager was unable to reinitialize my wireless connection (Atheros with proprietary Madwifi drivers). Specifically, KNetworkManager would show me that it had detected 5 or 6 networks, but it was unable to connect to any of them. So I ran "iwlist scan" and here's what I got:

[ Wed 23-Jul-2008 23.42 root ] eric # iwlist scan
lo        Interface doesn't support scanning.

eth0      Interface doesn't support scanning.

wifi0     Interface doesn't support scanning.

ath1      No scan results

[ Wed 23-Jul-2008 23.42 root ] eric #
[ Wed 23-Jul-2008 23.42 root ] eric #

This bug has been reported [2] and rumor has it that this is a well-known issue [3]. (I cannot say that I knew about it however!).

I can unequivocally state that KPowersave caused the problem. I downgraded to kernel 2.6.24 and reverted to KLaptop 3.5.9-1 and the problem vanished.

Is their a workaround for this problem? or do we have to suffer in silence?

Thanks,
- Eric