Re: KDE4.080/74-1 Plasma

On Tuesday 27 May 2008 23:43:39 Modestas Vainius wrote:
> > and
> > the only way I can do it is manually copy a preexisting one and hand edit
> > it. Just what is the concept of the plasma dashboard? What is it supposed
> > to do, hopefully better, prettier and more effectively than the older
> > concept (which most folks were used to from any of the other wms?
>
> Well, it's more than a "desktop". As far as I understand, dashboard icons
> are not real files or anything, they are just plasmoids which are just
> links to the some stuff (defined in ~/.kde4/share/config/plasma-appletsrc).
> They do not seem to be desktop icons since they do not disappear when you
> delete a file from ~/Desktop (or it's another bug). Overall, plasmoid can
> be anything which in theory gives you more freedom but might be annoying at
> first.

My experience with this is that stuff that IS a .desktop file in ~/Desktop
shows up. "Removing" this icon . . . it will be back when kde4
restarts/refreshes unless I manually delete the file from ~/Desktop.
Anywhere, it is here I would like backwards compatibility. Executables work
the same way, symlinks to executables, do not. Folders work but device-icons
do not show the mount/umount icons, just the default. The a bit oversized new
device monitor widget is a nice substitute for these one I no longer use kde3
(at least two months away).

Icons placed by drag and drop do not necessarily save anything in ~/Desktop
and the icon can be removed X. These icons do not have the same property set
as the corresponding .desktop file ones and do not behave the same way
either. If apps work again, I will try that out and I hope the properties
correspond to the .desktop files in some way.

These plasmoids might be a very elegant and versatile idea. I look forward to
more use of them, maybe create some. However, folks are starting out in kde3,
gnome, windows, and others which behave in a corresponding manner and
backwards compatibility is in order. Users who so choose can eliminate the
older style stuff at their own pace.