Re: Impressions of KDE4 and the Debian packages

You can use both IF you compile one of them. I had to compile kde3 (using
konstruct) when kde3 was too big of a problem on Sid for an extended period.
I put it on /opt. Kde4 installed on /usr. (Yes, a pity that stuff did not go
into separate subdirectories--I think they do it that way for Ubuntu,
i.e /usr/bin/kde4, /usr/lib/kde4, etc., at least until it is really ready for
SId.)

With one of them off /usr, I can have desktop files in sessions to run the
appropriate startkde. Paths need be set there AND an environment variable
should be set identifying the session (it used to do just that but I now must
add it myself, say in my older kde3 startkde which is not getting overwritten
in upgrades). I then have my bash profile test that and set up appropriate
paths.

Rusty-trusty kde3 apps usually run just fine in kde4 so kdevelop can still be
used. Visa-versa, I can run the new dolphin in kde3, no sweat.

One big reason why it can be problematic keeping both around is that kde3 uses
dcop and kde4 is using dbus services for intertask operations and never the
twain to meet. So ... I have both going. It would be nice (hint-hint) for
kde4 to have a dcop that tests the session env variable and uses dbus. This
bit of compatibility would go a long way.