Re: KDE for Etch

On Wed, Nov 07, 2007 at 04:24:09PM -0500, Curt Howland wrote:

> It's too bad that the option to install KDE is so far back from the
> point of obvious choice, and that the only place I've seen
> the "expert tasks="standard, kde-desktop"" is in posts telling me,
> now Philip, what we should have done.
>
> Until tasksel has "desktop-Gnome" and "desktop-KDE" as separate
> options, I will be stuck with seeminglt endless dselect sessions.

Don't you guys know that there are KDE and xfce versions of the first
CD iso especially for those who wants to install KDE or xfce as the
default instead of Gnome?

Maybe those are not advertised as they should be, and therefore almost
noone noticed that they exist?

If you use those, then you don't need to do anything special when
installing and you end up with a clean KDE environment "automagically".

Here, for example, is the i386 version:
http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/4.0_r1/i386/iso-cd/

and here the amd64:
http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/4.0_r1/amd64/iso-cd/

(You may want to download from a mirror server instead, check
http://www.us.debian.org/CD/http-ftp/ for a server near you.)

Download the iso whose name ends with "kde-CD-1.iso" (or xfce-CD-1.iso
if you want xfce installed by default) and install from that.
(For the newcomers: you just need the first CD, the rest is
automatically installed over the net, so no need to download all the
21 iso files :)

I used the KDE version just a few weeks ago for a new install.

Tomas