Re: k3b problems

Michael Thaler wrote, on 03/06/07 00:29:
Hello,

I have a problem with k3b. If I start k3b with a blank CD or DVD in the CD/DVD drive, k3b hangs when started and I get the following kernel message:

Jun 2 16:40:20 tessa kernel: cdrom: This disc doesn't have any tracks I recognize!
Jun  2 16:40:29 tessa kernel: hdd: DMA timeout retry
Jun  2 16:40:34 tessa kernel: hdc: lost interrupt
Jun  2 16:40:39 tessa kernel: hdd: status timeout: status=0xd8 { Busy }
Jun  2 16:40:39 tessa kernel: ide: failed opcode was: unknown

However, if I start k3b with no CD/DVD in the drives or with data CD/DVDs in the drives, everything works fine. I can insert a blank CD/DVD after k3b started and I can then burn them without problems.
My system is Debian SID. I have the following version of k3b installed:

[snip]

Any suggestions what to do to not hang my computer when starting k3b with a blanl CD/DVD in the drives?

Greetings,
Michael

What drive do you have, and what is the output of:

lspci -v|grep -i ide

I had to disable DMA on my CD-RW drive for it to work correctly. To do this, I had the following in /etc/hdparm.conf:

/dev/hdc {
        dma = off
}