Re: downgrade Experimental to Sid

P Kapat wrote:

> I was trying out the KDE 3.5.6 from experimental (a whole lot things got
> "experimentalised" during the process). Things mostly work. The kalarm
> seems to be broken. Logging out of KDE doesn't take me back to KDM. It
> needs an additional Ctl+Alt+Bkspace. Xorg seems to run into some memory
> issues (I guess that is due to some superkaramba apps). Anyway, the real
> question is: When, Sid gets KDE 3.5.6, how do I do the needed (?)
> downgrade?

As a desktop user I always tend to keep a global pin for all my packages.
You know, Debian is so good and so great that I love to pin and use
packages from multiple places.

Here's my apt pin settings:

rrs@maya:~$ cat /etc/apt/preferences
Explanation: Debian Testing
Package: *
Pin: release o=Debian,a=testing
Pin-Priority: 990

Explanation: Debian Unstable
Package: *
Pin: release o=Debian,a=unstable
Pin-Priority: 550

Explanation: Debian Experimental
Package: *
Pin: release o=Debian,a=experimental
Pin-Priority: 350

Explanation: Unofficial Debian Multimedia package by Christian Marillat
Package: *
Pin: origin www.debian-multimedia.org
Pin-Priority: 250

On my laptop this is what I use. A mixture of all.
KDE 3.5.6 was a good example. When it was in experimental, I did an
`apt-get -t experimental install kde` to switch KDE to experimental.
Now when (the freeze is over) and the devs re-upload KDE to unstable, the
version number for KDE increases in unstable. And thus the packages get
_upgraded_ from unstable.

Do keep in mind that if you do a "-t release", the package keeps getting
followed in that particular release unless a different release which has a
higher pin priority gets a higher version of the same package.
Again KDE is an example :-)

HTH,
Ritesh
--
If possible, Please CC me when replying. I'm not subscribed to the list.