Re: kde error

Am Donnerstag 06 September 2007 schrieb George Adamides:
> Hello again,

Hi George,

> Well I tried to install the xserver so as to get kde working but I get
> the following message. Can anybody help me clarify what is wrong?
>
> george:/usr/bin# apt-get -f install  xserver-xorg-core
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these:
>   kdat: Depends: kdelibs4c2a (>= 4:3.5.7-1) but it is not going to be
> installed Depends: libc6 (>= 2.5-5) but 2.3.2.ds1-22sarge4 is to be
> installed Depends: libgcc1 (>= 1:4.1.2) but 1:3.4.3-13sarge1 is to be
> installed Depends: libqt3-mt (>= 3:3.3.7) but it is not going to be
> installed Depends: libstdc++6 (>= 4.1.2) but it is not going to be
> installed xserver-xorg-core: Depends: x11-common (>= 1:7.0.0) but it is
> not going to be installed Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3.6-6) but
> 2.3.2.ds1-22sarge4 is to be installed Depends: libfontenc1 but it is
> not going to be installed Depends: libgcc1 (>= 1:4.1.1-12) but
> 1:3.4.3-13sarge1 is to be installed Depends: libxau6 but it is not
> going to be installed Depends: libxdmcp6 but it is not going to be
> installed Depends: libxfont1 but it is not going to be installed
> Depends: xserver-xorg but it is not going to be installed E: Unmet
> dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a
> solution).

Where do you have the package kdat from? It seems you are running Debian
Sarge, but try to install kdat from a newer version of Debian (at least
lenny aka testing as only that contains KDE 3.5.7) which needs newer
versions of some packages than you have. I suggest removing that package
completely with aptitude purge kdat, before trying to install the correct
version of the package for Debian Sarge[1]. After removing it, you should
be able to safely install the X server and KDE core stuff by using
aptitude install xserver-xorg kde-core[1].

The kdat package is available for Sarge[2]. Thus on a Debian Sarge a
aptitude install kdat should be able to install it.

Could you please post the output

 - cat /etc/debian_version

 - cat /etc/apt/sources.list

 - apt-cache policy kdat

If you have sarge or oldstable as Debian release in your sources
list, /etc/debian_version shows 3.1 and apt-cache policy shows 4:3.3.2-1
as installable package version, you should be able to install kdat safely
on your system by simply using aptitude install kdat, *after* you have
removed that newer version you tried to install above[1].

In order to enjoy a newer version of kdat and KDE consider upgrading to
Debian Etch.

[1] if aptitude wants to remove some packages cause it thinks they are
unused and you think they are not be careful, if in doubt better use
apt-get then, if interested I can provide a detailed explaination about
that, that explaination should be available somewhere on the Debian
pages, maybe in the wiki, as well

[2] http://packages.debian.org/sarge/kdat

Ciao,