Re: Is prelink still required?

Ritesh Raj Sarraf wrote, on 2007-05-31 06:06:
Hi,

I noticed that KDE is now linked with DT_GNU_HASH optimizations.

rrs@learner:~$ readelf -a /usr/bin/kmail| grep HASH
[ 3] .hash HASH 08048148 000148 00028c 04 A 5 0 4 [ 4] .gnu.hash GNU_HASH 080483d4 0003d4 0001d8 04 A 5 0 4
 0x00000004 (HASH)                       0x8048148
 0x6ffffef5 (GNU_HASH)                   0x80483d4

But I also noticed that many other applications (non-KDE) aren't linked with
this option.

Are any of you using prelink currently ?

Yes.

If yes, what have your experiences been overall (in the past and now in
present) with prelinking libraries ?

When I first read about prelinking and kde (5 or more years ago), I thought that it would significantly help with desktop GNU/Linux becoming more widely used. After all, who wants a long wait every time that they want to run a particular program?

I am running Debian Unstable (with KDE 3.5.6) at present on a 1998 era machine (PII-266, 256 MiB RAM, Cirrus Logic graphics card), so the machine is more likely to be CPU-bound than many machines.

At present prelinking kde programs seem to take longer than non-kde programs, presumably due to their being coded in C++ and having a large number of shared components, but the effort does appear to be worthwhile if programs become CPU-bound on start-up.

I haven't noticed any particular difference between prelinking now and in the past.