Re: Remote KDE desktop?

There are many ways. I'm using my laptop to start programs and my
desktop to display the applications since years.

The most simple thing was already mentioned: ssh -X (name/IP of machine
next room). This needs some ssh config issues to be solved:

You need a file config in .ssh of both machines:
Host *
Compression yes
ForwardX11 yes
Protocol 2,1
ForwardAgent yes

once you did that, do:

ssh -X (other host)

e.g. kontact &>/dev/null &

you can also use Konqueror to start programs. Use Help->Konqueror
Introduction and chose the item "Applications" which will give you
access to the menu on the remote machine.

a very useful program in this scenario is "k"
http://tothink.com/k/

Note that if you use ssh to log in, all the X session including all the
passwords you type are encrypted. Otherwise, one could snoop the X
session in the network.

Hope this works for you, for me it works great and I really use most X
remote features ...

Best,

Rigo