Re: Remote KDE desktop?

On Fri, Mar 09, 2007 at 11:54:53AM -0600, Stephen Frazier wrote:

> I have KDE 3.5 (Debian ETCH) installed on the computer in my office. I
> have installed Debian ETCH KDE on a new computer in the server room
> next to my office.

> What do I need to do to bring up the KDE from the server on the
> computer in my office?

On the server, edit the file /etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc - this controls the KDM
display server. Look for the section headed [Xdmcp] and change the line
which says Enable=false to Enable=true

Then restart KDM on the server with:

  invoke-rc.d kdm restart

Now on the desktop, at your KDM login screen, you can select "Remote
Login". If your server and desktop are on the same IP network, you
should see the server listed in the remote login screen. Otherwise you
may have to enter the hostname or IP by hand.

Dave
--
Dave Page <grimoire@sparky.ox.compsoc.net>
Jabber: grimoire@jabber.earth.li