Konqueror and ACLs: difference between SuSE and Debian, between 3.5.x versions?

Yodel!

[cc:s appreciated]

We're facing a problem here with konquerors acl behaviour:

changing from SuSE's 3.4.something to Debian backport 3.5.0 or also
http://deb.stosberg.net/'s 3.5.3 backports, acl behaviour on file copying
has annoyingly changed to also copy the acl.  Old (and "correct" - at least
for our use) behaviour was that the target file would get the default acl
of the target directory.

Anybody knows where that was changed?  Can I influence this, if possible
without recompiling KDE?

As a data point, note that interestingly enough the 3.5.x pakages from SuSE
10.1 retained the old behaviour, so this is either a change which came in a
KDE point release, or is a Debian or SuSE specific modification.

(Rationale: we use some directories as mailboxes: people would copy their
files into these directories to publish them for some other people.
Educating people that they need to copy the files, not move them, was
possible.  Educating them to set the correct acl is IME not possible -
users just want to work, they don't want and need to know about how the ACL
system works.)

thanks in advance
-- vbi

--
Sterility is inherited. If your parents never had kids, odds are you
wont either.