gtk apps lost antialiasing settings after upgrade

I am using debian unstable (kanotix) and I just did a dist-upgrade.
Now all my gtk apps (like firefox) have crappy font settings again. It's as if
the gtk2-engines-gtk-qt is no longer working properly.

With firefox, it's more than just the fonts though - the layout of
text is all strange, and lots of the text is invisible unless I run my
mouse over it.

Any suggestions on how to bring things back to normal?