Re: network configuration

Andrew Schulman wrote:

[I wrote:]
>> I think, one day, network manager will be the way to go.  For now, I'll
>> have to rely on ifplugd and whereami.
>
> Whew.  Linux for desktops and laptops has made enormous strides, but this
> is
> one area where it lags badly.  The range of tools-- ifplugd, whereami,
> waproamd, wpasupplicant, network-manager, all of the wireless tools, and
> others that I can't even remember now-- and their interactions is simply
> baffling to me, and I'm a long-time Debian user with a moderate to high
> tolerance for complexity.

Me too.  The good news is that I'm now at home on the wireless network, and
network-manager did bring up the link perfectly.  So it seems to be working
fine - as far as it goes.  It just doesn't actually let me configure
anything to be done when a particular connection is made, which means I
still need whereami.

> Fortunately, looking at the current ferment in open source tools in this
> area, I predict that in about one year, we'll have a good set of
> easy-to-use
> tools for moving between WLANs with a laptop.  Linux will catch up.

Three months ago, network-manager was _completely_ unworkable in Ubuntu.
Today, it seems minimally useful.  I think it's a pretty safe bet that in a
year it will be a good tool.
--
derek