Re: network configuration

On Friday 21 April 2006 19:18, Derek Broughton wrote:
> Freddie Cash wrote:
> It might break yours, but it was the way interface control was moving
> before we ever _had_ wpa_supplicant, so it would have been really nice if
> the wpa_supplicant developers had moved in step with the rest of the world.

As I see it, even without the new configuration options network configuration
was done in /etc/network/interfaces, wpa_supplicant was and is just a means
to connect to an available AP and do the encryption, key handling etc..

> And I've been trying (and failing) to keep all my network information
> in /etc/network/interfaces for three years.

After all, I too think that it is good to have the new options, since they
might be of use for some people. But that does not justify breaking working
setups on upgrade. Clean and easy upgrades have always been one of Debian's
priorities and the most important reason I switched from SuSE to Debian about
6 years ago.

Regards,

Felix