Re: can't log out

On Sunday 29 January 2006 07:48, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> Ben Saylor wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > When I select Log Out from the K menu and click "End current
> > session", "turn off computer" or "restart computer", most of the
> > time, the dialog disappears and nothing happens.  If I do this
> > three times, the dialog will no longer appear when I click "Log
> > Out", and I have to hit ctrl-alt-backspace to get out.  Sometimes,
> > it will work, however.  I have kdebase 3.5.0-4, but I've had this
> > issue for quite a while with older versions as well.  How can I fix
> > this?
>
> Check ~/.xsession-errors for error messages which appear after an
> unsuccessful log-out attempt. Maybe they will give you a clue where
> it goes wrong.
>
> Close all programs, quit all applets in the system tray and try to
> log out again. Does that change anything?

I don't get any new messages in ~/.xsession-errors after an unsuccessful
logout attempt.  However, the problem seems to occur if and only if
qjackctl is running, so I think I've found the culprit.  As a
workaround, I'll just quit qjackctl before logging out.  But it still
seems like a problem with KDE that an application can cause logout to
fail silently.  Thanks for the suggestions!

Ben