can't log out

Hi,

When I select Log Out from the K menu and click "End current session",
"turn off computer" or "restart computer", most of the time, the dialog
disappears and nothing happens.  If I do this three times, the dialog
will no longer appear when I click "Log Out", and I have to hit
ctrl-alt-backspace to get out.  Sometimes, it will work, however.  I
have kdebase 3.5.0-4, but I've had this issue for quite a while with
older versions as well.  How can I fix this?

Thanks
Ben