Re: Kmail 1.9.1 (KDE 3.5) 'save attachments' productivity loss

On Monday 23 January 2006 10:05, Tim Ruehsen wrote:
> Am Montag, 23. Januar 2006 17:45 schrieb Justin Guerin:
> > > * I can't see any files in the selected directory. This cuts me off
> > > from: - a quick view into the directory (my decision to create a new
> > > directory might be based on the contents).
> > >   - removing/renaming single files before I press OK (for saving).
>
> [ ... ]
>
> > Regarding renaming or removing single files, how would you know which
> > file you're renaming or removing?  I mean, which of the files that
> > you're saving?
>
> I was not talking about the files to save but about the files that are
> already in the directory which I want to save the new files into. E.g. I
> have attachments 1.vox 2.vox 3.vox and want to save it into directory X.
> Before KDE 3.5/Kmail 1.9.1 I got this 'file selector' widget, where I
> could see the already existing files. In this example, let's say there is
> already an 2.vox. I could directly (within the widget), rename it to
> 2.vox.old or decide to let it be overwritten by the new 2.vox (or
> whatever).

Ah, now I think I understand your situation.  I'm curious what happens when
you want to save 1.vox, 2.vox and 3.vox to a directory that already
contains 2.vox.  Does it automatically overwrite?  If so, that's bad.  I'd
file a minor bug against that.  Or does it pop up a dialog asking what you
want to do.  If it's the latter, then it should give you the option to
rename the old file, as well as the new.  If it did, would that suffice?

> > Out of curiosity, what did it work like before?
>
> See above.
>
> Thanks for your answer, Justin.
>
> Regards, Tim

Getting back to your original questions:
> Is there a switch to enforce getting a file selector?
Not that I'm aware of.
> If not: Would this be more a wishlist item or a minor/normal bug?
It would be a wish list item, since it's an additional feature, and use of
the directory chooser was not accidental.
> Are there any other people who dislike the new 'feature'?
I don't like it.

Sorry that's not much help.

Justin