Re: Problems with hal, devices and udev

Leopold Palomo-Avellaneda wrote:
Hi,

I have two boxes with a mix version of etch and sid. I would like to have kde
3.5 and the feature to plug a pen drive and appears a magical windows asking
you what do want to do. However, I have two problems and really, after
googling some time, I don't have any idea to solve it.

The packages:
ii linux-image-2.6.15-1-686-smp 2.6.15-2 in another without smp, but I don't think that it's an important issue.
ii  hal                             0.5.5.1-5
ii  hal-device-manager              0.5.5.1-5
ii  libhal-storage1                 0.5.5.1-5
ii  libhal1                         0.5.5.1-5

and a kde3.5

Just some things to check: Make sure that you have the package "dbus"
installed and not "dbus-1". (This should have been done automatically by
apt-get/aptitude for your version of hal, though.) Likewise, see about
package "libdbus-glib-1-2" which replaces package "dbus-glib-1", and
make sure that you have udev version 0.081-1. Also, if you have an older
installation which used to have hotplug earlier, I think it is important
that you purge the hotplug configuration files, otherwise there can be
problems with udev.

in the fstab no /sys, etc .

First, when the box is booting, it stoped in:
Starting the hotplug events dispatcher: udevd

in both boxes
so I have to ctrl+c to continue booting and finally, the the kdm is up, manually do a /etc/init.d/udev start without any problem. Why?

Maybe one of the things I mentioned above is causing this behavior.

And second, I can plug a device, it appears in syslog, etc, but no windows appears. What I'm doing wrong?

You need to install the package "pmount" and add your user to the group
"plugdev". Then you should be able to activate "automatic" desktop icons
for your pluggable devices in the "KDE Control Center > Desktop >
Behavior > Device Icons" dialog.

Regards,
           Florian