Fwd: PATH variable in KDE

Hello

I've read several threads on this subject and NONE gave any solution
to my problem.

Here it is - I use Debian 3.1 with KDE installed (standard package).

I've just (yesterday) moved from the  good-old Slackware, and I'm a
bit green to the way Debian sets up everything.

In my previous system, when I wanted PATH variable for ALL users to
contain some new entry, I simply edited /etc/profile file and voila...

Not so easy here. I checked and /etc/profile is never even read!!! EVER!!!

I mainly work in windowed environment KDE provides, so I started
digging on that and found out that two scripts:

/etc/kde3/kdm/Xstartup and /etc/kde3/kdm/Xsession

are executed when kdm starts up (the first one as root, the latter one
after the user logs in).

The first script contains a PATH variable definition, but it DOES NOT
export it. I tried to hook it up anyway, but doesn't work.

-------
And now to the point:
-------

1. What scripts and in which order are being executed during KDE startup?
2. Where can I change the contents of PATH variable so that the change
persists when I log in as any user (this imples that .bashrc is not an
option)?
3. Why isn't the /etc/profile script used?

Thank You very much for Your help :)

Best regards,
Paksas