Re: xorg not installing

On Fri, Nov 03, 2006 at 00:14:12 -0600, Larry Garfield wrote:
> On Thursday 02 November 2006 16:23, Florian Kulzer wrote:
>
> > OK, so at least we know that it hangs in the post-installation script.
> > This script is located at /var/lib/dpkg/info/xserver-xorg.postinst but
> > unfortunately it is quite complicated. You can check /var/log/dpkg.log,
> > but it will probably only tell you that this script is run and give no
> > further information or error messages. You can try to edit the script
> > and change the line "set -e" (directly after the comment header) to
> >
> > set -xe

[...]

> With set -xe, it seems to freeze after this portion of the output:
>
> ++ UPSTREAM_VERSION=7.1.0
> ++ CMD='discover --type-summary display'
> ++ eval discover --type-summary display
> +++ discover --type-summary display
>
> That's the last line of output.  If I try to reinstall discover, however,
> aptitude simply tries to install xorg again and it freezes again.  apt-get
> does the same.  There's also no change if I do an aptitude clean and then try
> to download the package again.

I think there are two possible approaches:

1) Find out why discover fails. You can run it yourself as root with the
   "-d" option. Maybe you will get some error messages that explain the
   behavior of the postinst script.

2) You decide that you do not care about 1) and just get rid of
   discover:

   dpkg --purge discover

   xserver-xorg does not depend on discover (it only recommends it), so
   probably the postinst script will run fine when there is no discover
   around. You can also try to reinstall discover after purging it by
   using "dpkg --install". To do this you have to either use the newest
   discover .deb in /var/cache/apt/archives/ or you have to download it
   to a temporary directory with

   aptitude download discover

   (that should still work even though aptitude upgrade/install is
    blocked by the xserver-xorg problem.)

   If all else fails you can get the package directly from here:

   http://ftp.debian.org/pool/main/d/discover/

   Another thing to try is if "discover1" works better than "discover":

   http://ftp.debian.org/pool/main/d/discover1/

--
Regards,
          Florian