Re: Safety of upgrading KDE while running KDE?

Ross Boylan wrote:

> Is it safe to upgrade KDE, especially core components like kdelibs,
> while one is running KDE?  I've been erring on the side of caution,
> but things have been changing a lot in testing recently, and it's a
> bit of a hassle to shut everything down and start up again.

I upgrade regularly while running KDE.  No big deal.  The libs stay in
memory until they're no longer used anyway.  If the changelog tells you
otherwise, do what the changelog says.

> Similarly, what about changes at the xorg level?  (I suppose I could
> add lots of other things as well: hal, dbus, libc...)  I know Debian
> generally doesn't require rebooting, but do the same "just do it"
> assurances apply to running programs or sessions?

Same deal.  Once it's in memory, it doesn't really matter too much.  If you
start having problems, log out and log back in (usually upgrade-related
inconsistency can be fixed this way).