Re: Files and directories to preserve across upgrade--surprising success

On Mon, Aug 21, 2006 at 12:03:18PM -0700, Ross Boylan wrote:
> I upgraded one machine from KDE 3.5.3 to 3.5.4 and discovered that some
> of my defaults got lost.  In particular, my fonts both in and outside of
> KDE became terrible (that is, non KDE apps running under KDE, such as
> firefox). The list archives suggested setting use anti-aliasing to true
> (which it already was) and set hinting style to full (it was medium).
> Setting hinting to full seemed to help a lot.
>
> Before upgrading another machine, I'd like to preserve my other settings
> as well (e.g. the font names I picked).  What files and directories
> should I save to do so?  I'm aware that settings outside of .kde
> and .kderc are relevant, but I'm not sure exactly which ones.

I have now upgraded the other machine, and this time my fonts were
basically preserved and looked OK.  Go figure.  Some of the non-KDE
fonts were a little marginal (i.e., firefox), but setting hinting to
full and restarting the app cleared it up.

I don't know what accounts for the difference.  The second time I
logged out of KDE before the upgrade; I think I did so the first time,
but I'm not sure of it.  I may have had somewhat different fonts
selected, and there probably are other subtle differences in the setup
of X in particular.

Ross