aRts crashes playing streams

Hi there,

strange problem here, I don't quite know where to look. ARts seems to play
only audio files and crash on streamed audio.

The basic sound system (ALSA) works: xmms can play the desired streams and
audio files perfectly well. Artsd also seems to work as I can get system
notifications and play audio files with noatun and amaroK.

Strange things start when using libarts in xmms. I get "failed to open audio
output: aRts Output 0.7.1". The console output is

| Message: wait_for_helper(): select failed: Interrupted system call
| Message: waiting failed: 1
| Message: helper_cmd_data(): failed
| Message: helper has not terminated
| Message: Init failed: 1
| Message: helper_cmd_data(): failed
| Message: helper has not terminated
| xmms-mad-Message: failed to open audio output: aRts Output 0.7.1

It gets even stranger trying to play streamed audio. A different dialog
appears saying "Couldn't open audio" in the title and furter "Please check
that soundcard is configured correctly ...".

| Message: wait_for_helper(): select failed: Interrupted system call
| Message: waiting failed: 1
| Message: helper_cmd_data(): failed
| Message: helper has not terminated
| Message: Init failed: 1
| Message: helper_cmd_data(): failed
| Message: helper has not terminated

At both times I can get system notifications so artsd seems to work.

As said above, noatun plays audio files. When I open a stream, I get the
following output on the console and arts crashes with SIGSEGV.

| MCOP StartupManager: adding a StartupClass after Dispatcher init will not
| work.
| (The previous message was repeated 1 times.)
| unix_connect: can't connect to server
| (unix:/tmp/ksocket-chris/localhost.localdomain-1b26-4460a256)
| Launched ok, pid = 6989

I can try to play it again, hear some cracks in the speakers (artsd seems to
be restarting) and artsd crashes again -- this time noatun also quits with
this message on the console.

| *** glibc detected *** free(): invalid pointer: 0xa7b2dd08 ***
| KCrash: Application 'noatun' crashing...

About the same results for amaroK. It plays audio files and I could just now
play a stream for a few seconds! Trying again it eats up all CPU time, does
not react on inputs and does not play anything, but I can get system
notifications. I also once got it crashing artsd with a SIGSEGV like noatun.

| QObject::connect: No such slot ArtsEngine::newStreamData(char*,int)
| QObject::connect:  (sender name:   'unnamed')
| QObject::connect:  (receiver name: 'unnamed')

For the details: I tried the newest unstable versions of xmms and xmms-arts,
noatun and amaroK on a current KDE install.

ii  amarok         1.3.9-1        versatile and easy to use audio player for K
ii  libarts1-akode 3.5.2-2+b2     akode plugin for aRts
ii  libarts1-audio 3.5.2-2+b2     audiofile plugin for aRts
ii  libarts1-mpegl 3.5.2-2+b2     mpeglib plugin for aRts, supporting mp3 and
ii  libarts1-xine  3.5.2-2+b2     aRts plugin enabling xine support
ii  libarts1c2a    1.5.2-1        aRts sound system core components
ii  libartsc0      1.5.2-1        aRts sound system C support library
ii  noatun         3.5.2-2+b2     media player for KDE
ii  xmms           1.2.10+cvs2006 Versatile X audio player
ii  xmms-arts      0.7.1-4        aRts Output plugin for xmms

Anyone got any hints on anything that might be going wrong?

TIA,
Chris