Re: Setting KMail's To Do flag

Alejandro Exojo wrote:
>El Jueves, 16 de Marzo de 2006 22:49, Steven Ihde escribió:
>> Using KMail's disconnected IMAP seems like it should work.  There's just
>> one problem -- checking for new mail is so slow it's unusable.  It takes
>> more than five minutes to do one check for mail -- every time.  It spends
>> most of the time in the "uploading status of messages" phase.  I have about
>> 16000 messages in the folder -- should I expect dimap to perform well in
>> this situation?  Using KMail's regular imap, a check for new mail on the
>> same folder is virtually instantaneous.
>
>KMail stores some special status of messages in its binary indexes:
>
>http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-pim&m=112707919726650&w=2
>
>I suppose that KMail does some kind of trick to store this special status in
>the server. Maybe this is causing the slowdown.

I doubt that this is correct.  KMail doesn't store this status on the server
at all, it keeps it only in its local database.  This can be observed by
connecting to the same server with different KMails.  The two KMails will
keep their own completely independent sets of "To Do" flags.  However,
Read/Unread and Replied status is propagated -- KMail sets these flags on the
server using the IMAP protocol.

I'm not sure why KMail's dimap upload is so slow.  My guess is that it is
updating the status of all messages, even those that haven't changed.
Offlineimap can sync much faster.  It seems to use a better method of
synchronization.

>> I also tried using the script "offlineimap" to maintain a cache on the
>> laptop disk.  But the problem here is that KMail doesn't propagate the "To
>> Do" flag (or any other flags except the basic read/unread status AFAICT) to
>> the server, so the cached copy doesn't get the flag status.  :-(  Is there
>> a way to force KMail to store the flags on the server instead of in its
>> cached copy of the headers?
>
>Its very likely that the offlineimap program doesn't understand kmail's
>indexes, so it simply ignores them, and the changes are not propagated to the
>server.

KMail's indexes are not related.  Offlineimap (at least the way I'm using it)
doesn't look at mails on disk, it connects to the IMAP server.  The only
information it gets is from the IMAP server.  Assuming the IMAP server
doesn't understand KMail's indexes (which I'm sure it doesn't) of course the
IMAP server won't know anything about the To Do status either.

However, KMail could in theory store the To Do flag on the server by setting
the flag with using the IMAP protocol.  Some servers (including Courier)
allow clients to set arbitrary server-side flags.

-Steve