Re: Very annoying bug in Xorg

Rigo Wenning wrote:
Dear all,

I do have to do a lot of presentations. I'm using plain sid (xorg
6.9) I have a Radeon R250 Lf. Now there is a bug in Xorg and it is
impossible to switch on the external VGA connection via the Fn+Fx
keys. The only thing feasible is to constantly switch on the second
monitor (welcome battery) by having the options Option
"MonitorLayout" "LVDS, CRT" Option "Clone" "true" Option
"CloneRefresh" "60"

Now there is a reported bug somewhere in the debian bug-tracking with
no end, but has anyone of you managed to get a workaround? I'm really
looking for tips and perhaps the right person to complain and insist
on importance of this bug ;)

Thanks for feedback and sorry that it's a bit off topic.. (I know)

You might have higher chances of finding someone who has a solution for
your specific hardware if you address this question to debian-laptop.

That being said, maybe this will help: According to their package
descriptions "radeontool" and "fglrx-control" seem to provide commands
to switch/configure the outputs of Radeon cards. (You do not mention if
you have tried this.) If this works you can either define simple aliases
to switch the external output on/off, or you can use ACPI to assign the
command to some special key. I use the latter approach on my laptop
(with an xorg.conf which only has the LCD display on by default) and so
far it has worked with every beamer that I have encountered. I do have a
different graphics card, though, and therefore I have no idea how well
this works with the Radeon drivers. (The package description of
radeontool is a bit ominous...)

Regards,
            Florian