Customized meta data: Is there a generalized equivalent for something like digikam?

Hello,

It just came to my mind, that it would be a terrific help with keeping track
of my research data, if there was something analogous with digikam but with
a much less file type specialized scope. An aplication that reads in a
defined part of your file system and allows you to create custom metadata
(kept in a parallel db structure) to your files:
- pdf x was suggested reading by y and bred idea z
- image a was aquired from experiment b under conditions c. Conlcusion from
it is d. Follow up experiment can be found under e.

Random things like that.

Pointers? Have to embarrasedly accept to be in line with the mus slashdot
flamed article http://www.icefox.net/articles/typemanager.php ...

Joh