Re: KDE 3.5 Release Candidate 1 packages available on alioth

Your reasons for wanting kdebase to be rebuilt with experimental dbus/hal
seem mainly to boil down to a desire to run both GNOME and KDE from
experimental. While there is nothing wrong with wanting this, I still don't
find that sufficient to overrule the other reasons I have stated for
preferring to test kdebase against the old dbus/hal.

Moreover, the general principle you seem to be hinting at of "stuff in
experimental should be built against other experimental stuff" is very
rarely practiced - experimental uploads are usually there to be
cherry-picked for use with Sid. Experimental is not a real distribution
that most people run in its entirety. Otherwise we'd be building against
any random updated library that happened to be there as well as dbus/hal.

FWIW, Ubuntu (and many other distributions) will be building their KDE
against the new dbus/hal, so if there are critical problems, we will find
out through them.

However, if it does appear that the new dbus/hal will enter unstable before
3.5.0, then the case for building 3.5 against the new dbus/hal becomes much
stronger. We'll see.

Also, if for the next round of 3.5 uploads to alioth (when 3.5 arrives at
3.5.0 final), someone (a DD or a well-known Debian contributor) wants to
provide alternate kdebase/k3b debs built against the new dbus/hal, I can't
see the harm in them being made available somewhere. Someone could do that
right now, in fact.

Cheers,
Christopher Martin