Can't get Window key to work as menu launch any longer

Hello everybody.

I am tracking Debian unstable.

I have a very small, but annoying problem:  The "Windows" key worked earlier
for me by default, to launch the KDE Menu.  I am not certain whether it was
the upgrade XFree86->Xorg, or the upgrade KDE 3.3->3.4 - but the key
has stopped working. Alt-F1 works just fine, still.

I tried to configure using Control Center/Regional and
Accessibility/Keyboard Shortcuts/Panel/Popup Launch Menu.  Here I can
configure - say - Win+M to launch, but not the Windows key alone.  It
looks as if either the X11 system or KDE has decided that the Windows
key is now a meta key of a sort, not a key that can be made to do
anything in itself.

Any help is appreciated.

best regards

--