Re: KDE 3.5 Release Candidate 1 packages available on alioth

On November 16, 2005 22:55, Michael Biebl wrote:
> Looking at the packages I noticed that they are still compiled against
> the old hal/dbus packages from unstable. Wouldn't it have been worthwile
> to choose the uptodate hal/dbus versions from experimental? There have
> been major advances in this versions and IIRC the GNOME 2.12 packages in
> experimental also use new hal/dbus version already.

Well, the idea behind the packages is to test them and ready them for
inclusion in the archive. If the archive will contain the old dbus/hal,
then we should build and test against them. Besides, building against the
new dbus/hal is not a small matter - the package names have changed, and so
updating to experimental dbus/hal means that users will not be able to drop
back down to unstable kdebase packages without major package
removal/reinstallation. Besides rebuilding kdebase, we'd have to rebuild
k3b, since it also uses the old dbus/hal in unstable.

That said, feel free to rebuild kdebase yourself, and let us know if there
are major issues (since we'll have to deal with them eventually anyway).

Cheers,
Christopher Martin