Fonts broken after debian / ubuntu upgrade

Hello List,

i am resending this mail that went to the
openOffice-Users list two days ago but didnt raise
much response. Maybe this isnt an openoffice issue,
hopefully someone here can help me.

Desperately seeking help. Reposting this request i put
on the forum yesterday without any reply.

i try to do an overall distribution and OpenOffice
upgrade from an older Debian Sarge (unstable, back
then) , kde 3.1 and Openoffice 1.1.1 to the recent
Ubuntu, which comes with KDE 3.4, and OpenOffice
1.1.3. This would apply to several workstations in the
office. I did the upgrade on one machine and it turned
out that the main problem now is that the fonts appear
totally different. In detail, this only applies to
OpenOffice , and the font used troughout the template
docs in this office is Nimbus Sans L. This font looks
sort of "condensed" now and also prints out the wrong
way. Other applications dont seem to have this
problem. I have checked one million settings within
KDE and compared to the older machines but couldnt
really single out anything that could cause the
problem. I have tried to figure out the actual font
files and replaced them with those of the old
installation but it did not help. Let me add that i am
not exactly an expert
when it comes to X11 font management, left alone KDE,
debian and OpenOffice on top.

Each and every help greatly appreciated. I do realize
that it would be better if i understood the bits and
tricks around X11 fonts and i will certainly look into
it in greater detail once this is solved but for now i
would really be glad if any font expert could give me
a helping hand. The guy on the testing machine cannot
work right now...