Problem with internet in KDE

Hello there. I have the following problem: KDE applications have problems
connecting to the internet. If I use Konqueror (for example), I get a lot of
Unknown Host errors. I usually have to reload the page to actually read it.
However, apparently the problem is in DNS lookup, because if I write the IP
address directly, I have no problem (for example, Kopete had a hard time
connecting to the msn server, so I changed it to the IP address, and I
connect without problems now). This does not happen with non-KDE
applications: Firefox works flawlessly, and all console programs also work
perfectly. Any ideas on what can be causing this?

System:
Debian unstable post C++ ABI transition
KDE 3.4.2
Linux version 2.6.12-1-k7