removable media

well hi!
i've got problems with the mediamanager. it worked fine until a week or so
ago, when my external usb-hdd stopped popping up on the desktop and panel, so
i need to leave the fstab line for /dev/sda1 in if I want to be able to mount
it from kde, but then the icon is on my panel all the time. i'd like to have
it autodetected by hal. my harddisk is detected by hotplug and all the
modules are loaded, and if the fstab line is not commented out, it can also
be mounted from kde.
thanx ahead