Re: Upgrade 3.3.2->3.4.2

Am Donnerstag 08 September 2005 22:40 schrieb Hendrik Sattler:

> > It uses pmount which needs at least libhal0 and dbus. pmount has no
> > direct and as far as I checked also no indirect dependency to udev
> > tough.
>
> pmount does not require the hal package. Currently, media:/ only shows
> devices from /etc/fstab, not even all mounted devices (my usb stick is
> mounted using pmount directly).

Hello Henrik,

do you have hotplug installed? Without hotplug necessary kernel modules to
support an external USB drive might not be loaded.

New hardware should be recognized from the kernel anyway and be reported
via sysfs.

But there needs to be someone who plugs into the hotplug hook for new
hardware and I highly doubt that this will be KDE media:// itself.

Its a modular design and right now on my machine its udevsend who plugs
into the kernel hotplug hook:

martin@deepdance:/ -> cat /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug
/sbin/udevsend

I am pretty sure something must plugin in there or newly added hardware
won't be dealt with automatically.

Anyway I would install udev. Yes, there are issues with it, that it won't
setup some device files automatically. Like for isdn4linux (I can send
you an init script that does it). And might be issues when doing a backup
via rsync. But apart from that it works quite nicely.

Regards,