Re: X and 'unstable' (04 Sep 2005)

Op Tuesday 06 September 2005 15:15, schreef Patrick Healy:
> Over the weekend I attempted to do an 'apt-get dist-upgrade' on
> 'unstable'.  I had some problems with koffice (which I can live with for a
> while) but far worse is the fact that although there is kdm process
> running I can't start up X.  The messages below came fomr the
> syslog.
>
> I'd be really grateful if somebody could help me bail out of this one.
>
> I'm told rolling back from unstable to stable isn't an option.  Greed,
> greed, greed.
>
> Clearly I shouldn't be using 'unstable' :(
>
> Sep  5 16:06:26 foiche kdm[855]: X server "/usr/X11R6/bin/X" cannot be
> executed Sep  5 16:06:26 foiche kdm[842]: X server for display :0 can't be
> started, session disabled

Try logging in on text-console, and run /usr/X11R6/bin/X, and show us the
output this generates, 'cannot be executed' is not a really comprehensive
explanation (not your fault, though)

I'm running unstable myself, and, since today I'm running the debian-packaged
kde, and everything seems to work again.

Regards,

Peter Palm