Re: Gmail & Konqueror?

On Monday 25 July 2005 05:11 pm, Allan Sandfeld Jensen wrote:
> On Tuesday 26 July 2005 00:13, Larry Garfield wrote:
> > >
> > > I guess Google doesn't think Konq is worth supporting, that it's market
> > > share isn't high enough. Considering Google's roots, and the kind of
> > > people that work there, I'm a bit surprised at that.
> >
> > In Google's defense, I've not been able to get decent Ajax
> > (XmlHttpRequest) working under Konqueror, either.  I don't know any
> > Ajax-using site that supports Konqueror.  Mayhaps if Konqueror supported
> > Mozilla-style XmlHttpRequest objects, it would support these new fangled
> > features.
>
> AFAIK Konqueror has had AJAX crap for longer than Mozilla. Generally we
> support the MSIE variants though when there is a difference (because Ajax
> is a MSIE extension), but because Mozilla couldn't manage to copy MSIE well
> enough ,all the ajax sites out there now send browser specific JS code, and
> often broken code to browsers they don't recognize.

Sigh. Completely and utterly wrong.

Firstly there's no "AJAX extension" in any browser. AJAX is a markting term.
Ignore it.

IE implements XmlHTTPRequest with ActiveX. Obviously nobody but Microsoft is
going to implement that. Any coder that does browser sniffing in JS doesn't
know what the they're doing. Not saying that it's never happened, just that
they haven't kept up with the times. There really isn't much browser-specific
code in a good XmlHTTP script.